Saturday 29 April 2017

Post production - Candle effects




The opening scene in Zero has a close up of a candle, which makes m think adding digital flames to the candles on the set would look okay. I looked at how the candle in this sequence moved and tried to copy the motion, and adjust to my animation.



I drew a rough flame shape and assed a gaussian blur to it, to get it the nearest to a flame I could.

there were a lot of option for me to play with, opacity, scale, rotation and skew, which all contribute to the movement of a flickering flame.


I remembered from the after effects induction that the closer the key points, the quicker the motion, so when the character gets up, a flame would naturally move with the breeze created by the action, so i kept adjusting the key points till I was happy with the movement.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, it doesn't draw attention to itself, it's just a nice subtle motion, which I think looks natural in the scene and it realistic to that world.

I now need to add a flame to any other scene with a candle stick in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment