Sunday 7 May 2017

Film poster



After researching into film posters, I got on with designing the poster for our film. I took frames from the film so far and tested each on in photoshop to see what would work. 

I had to as a vingete kind of effect to the first poster because i wanted it to all fade nicely, I took inspiration from Mary and Max for this as I liked the focus on the centre image. I think I prefer the second of the two 1st outcome, the logos work better at the bottom and don't feel as intruding on the poster. I do feel like it had empty space at the top, but this could be where the strapline goes when we come up with one.

the second idea, I make the image cover the whole of the page, but because the title logo looks much nicer on a black or dark background I added a gradient to fad into the image and make the titel stand out. I like the first outcome of this idea, because the tile has the skull, it's already quite bust so didn't want anything else with it, so think the logos work best at the top.

I went for something differnt with the thrid idea, I wasn't keen about what i'd done with using a still from the film, so thought i'd use the image from a flashback scene, it did't look right just as a full image, so I added a worm map style to it which would suggest it's to do with adventure, but this could also be missleading because the film is set in one room. I've sent these to Callum so I just need some feedback and hopefully we can work together on finalising a poster.



Callum's idea is to use the set to break a little the fourth wall. Showing the edge of the scene from one side whilst the main dude is looking up worried. So we actually use the character.

This idea is good, and I like that the monster over the character, but I disagreed with the idea of breaking the fourth wall, because the film is set in it own world, and the monster is not in any way described to be a high being controlling the puppet, so personally didn't think it made sense.

I send Callum the 1st poster design I had done, after he had tested out his idea and didn't think it worked. we discussed adding in the monster to my poster. 

He added in the monster, and I gave feedback that it would be nice to have the whole monster, and that the logo also needed to be added. it still looks too different, the monster is clearly digital and doesn't fit with the photo of the puppet. I took this idea into photoshop to see if I could make it any less 2D


I split the character into sections and added effects such as drop shadow and bevels, to try and create a 3d look, I also brought in an image of black silk material to create a clipping mask to add some texture.













I'm still not sure my editing has made it any better, the monster is less imposing and more like a shadow which is what I had imagined. but is probably too dark and still not fitting with the rest of the poster.

I'll continue to edit and see if I can improve it.





No comments:

Post a Comment